Glen Guest House
747, Chester Road, Erdington, Birmingham, B24 0BY
0121 382 1890
Erdington is a suburb and ward of Birmingham that is historically part of Warwickshire. Its postcodes include B23, B24 and B72. It is 5 miles (8km) northeast of central Birmingham, and borders Sutton Coldfield. It is also a council constituency, managed by its own district committee. The formal council constituency consists of the ward of Erdington and Tyburn, (formally Kingsbury), Stockland Green and Kingstanding, although all the Kingstanding and most of both Tyburn and Stockland Green wards lie outside the historical boundaries of Erdington. Stockland Green was formerly part of Aston, Kingstanding part of Perry Barr and Tyburn partially split between Aston and Hodge Hill. Erdington was part of the Sutton Coldfield constituency before 1974.
Erdington had its own manor house, Erdington Hall, which was protected on three sides by a double moat and on the fourth by the River Tame. It had developed from a small fortified homestead constructed by an Anglo-Saxon named Eardwulf in the area of Bromford. Demolished in the 17th century, it stood on the hill at the junction of what are now Wheelwright Road and Tyburn Road. The double moat was drained in the 18th century by Sir Charles Holte. Until 1912 another building stood, but this was demolished for the construction of the Tyburn Road, though a small section remained until World War I.
Other moated properties included one at Fern Road, one at the junction of Moor End Lane and Berkswell Road, and another that surrounded a large farm called Pipe Orchard, the site of which can be seen in the Erdington Grammar School playing fields.
In 1759, a turnpike act was passed for the Chester Road and another act was passed in 1807 for a road tht passed through Erdington village from Birmingham. This resulted in Erdington being a stop-off location for stage coaches which passed along the Chester Road to Chester from London. In 1783 the Birmingham-Fazeley Canal was completed. It passed along the southern boundary of Erdington at Tyburn. Planning requests included that the canal should not pass within 500 metres of Pype Hayes Hall.
Erdington has had historic ties with both Castle Bromwich and Water Orton through administrion, governance and land ownership, whilst being par of Aston Parish. In 1894 Erdington broke from Aston to become an urban district. Administrative offices were established at the Rookery on Kingsbury Road, which have since become Rookery Park. In 1911, the urban district council of Erdington and that of Aston Manor were absorbed into the growing city of Birmingham.
Erdington shopping centre formed the core of the area with most of the older housing being located close to it. The railway alongside also attracted the development of many Victorian and Edwardian houses.