Glen Guest House
747, Chester Road, Erdington, Birmingham, B24 0BY
0121 382 1890
Erdington’s history is documented well through its buildings. One of the most well-known features in the area is Spaghetti Junction, situated on the southern edge of the district and on the border of Aston and Gravelly Hill. As well as being a road interchange, two railway lines, three canals and two rivers also converge on that location. Britain’s longest bridge, Bromford Viaduct starts here, carrying the M6 to Junction 5, Castle Bromwich. It has long been a historic crossing point in Birmingham, with the incorporation of Salford Bridge, which was first mentioned in a deed in 1490, although a bridge is believed to have been at this location since 1290. Nearby is Fort Dunlop, former home of Dunlop Rubber, a relic of Erdington’s industrial past. At its peak, it employed 10,000 people but is industrial usage has declined since, with Dunlop maintaining only a small presence in the area. The factory closed in September 2014. The main building was redeveloped from 2005 to 2006 into office and retail space by Urban Splash . The area surrounding Fort Dunlop is used by logistics companies and also features showrooms operated by several car manufacturers, including Birmingham’s only Lamborghini dealership. Fort Dunlop lends its name to the nearby Fort Shopping Park, constructed on reclaimed land by the Birmngham Heartlands Development Corporation in 1995. Erdington has a distinct concentration of retail space, known as Erdington town centre or Erdington village, the main focus of which is Erdington High Street. There is also a market located on Barnabas Road and another Wilton Market, between Sutton New Road and the High Street. Also on the High Street is Erdington Parish Church and nearby The Abbey Church, Erdington by Pulin. Also nearby is the newly opened Erdington Swimming Pool and Leisure Centre. Opened in 1907 as a Carnegie library is a public library operated by Birmingham City Council . Josiah Mason Campus, a campus forming Birmingham Metropolitan College, was formerly a further education collete by the name of Josiah Mason College that merged with Sutton Coldfield College in 2006. To the north of Erdington within the area of Pype Hayes on the border with Walmley, is Pype Hayes Park and Pype Hayes Hall, the former home of the Bagot family. A smaller part in the area is Sorrel Park. The Old Green Man on Bromford Lane (now known as the Lad in the Lane) is one of the oldest public houses in Birmingham.